The Nevada state flag

How to Become an Ordained Minister in Nevada

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

Become Ordained!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Nevada

Contact the County Clerk's office in the county where the ceremony will take place. You'll need to order the Nevada Wedding Officiant Kit, which includes all of the documents required to register with the county clerk. This package, along with any other items you might want to order, are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

To perform a wedding in Nevada you must first complete the application that comes as part of our Nevada Package. After you submit this paperwork to the county clerk, they will add you to the list of state approved registered officiants. This application must be submitted no earlier than 90 days from the ceremony date and no later than 30 days prior to the wedding. This gives you a 60-day window in which to order and submit your paperwork.

Select your county to view contact information for each office:

The Nevada state flower, the Sagebrush

The Nevada state flower, the Sagebrush

What Do You Need to Perform a Wedding in Nevada

Once again, if you are planning on officiating a wedding in Nevada, you will need to purchase the Nevada Wedding Officiant Kit. Please be sure to select the correct county, and indicate whether you plan to perform 5 or fewer weddings in a calendar year, OR 6 or more weddings (Nevada Residents Only). If you submit an order for the '6 or more weddings' version of the Nevada Wedding Officiant Kit, you may be contacted periodically in the future by email to see if you are still actively officiating weddings in Nevada. If you respond in the negative or fail to respond, your ability to perform legally binding marriages in the state will expire.

Please note that if the wedding you are performing is taking place in Clark County you may be required to complete an additional online course with the County. More information about this will be available in your Nevada Wedding Kit if you select Clark County.

How to Get a Nevada Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the County Clerk's office, and will be picked up by the couple. As a minister, it's your responsibility to understand how marriage licenses work in Nevada and its individual counties. For example, if the couple plans to get a Reno marriage license, you should double-check if there are any rules specific Washoe County. In the state of Nevada, the license is valid for one year. There is no mandatory waiting period between the time it is picked up, and when the ceremony can be legally performed. Finally, the signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office within ten days of the ceremony.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Nevada Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Nevada are primarily directed by Chapter 122 of Title 11 of the state code. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in the State of Nevada, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

NRS 122.062 Licensed or ordained ministers and chaplains of Armed Forces to obtain certificates from county clerk; temporary replacements; solemnization by minister licensed or ordained in another state.

  1. Any licensed or ordained minister in good standing within his denomination, whose denomination, governing body and church, or any of them, are incorporated or organized or established in this state, may join together as husband and wife persons who present a marriage license obtained from any county clerk of the State, if the minister first obtains a certificate of permission to perform marriages as provided in this section and NRS 122.064 to 122.073, inclusive. The fact that a minister is retired does not disqualify him from obtaining a certificate of permission to perform marriages if, before his retirement, he had active charge of a congregation within this state for a period of at least 3 years.

  2. A temporary replacement for a licensed or ordained minister certified pursuant to this section and NRS 122.064 to 122.073, inclusive, may solemnize marriages pursuant to subsection 1 during such time as he may be authorized to do so by the county clerk in the county in which he is a temporary replacement, for a period not to exceed 90 days. The minister whom he temporarily replaces shall provide him with a written authorization which states the period during which it is effective.

To view the in-depth wedding laws for Nevada state:

Nevada Marriage Laws