Begin Free Online Ordination

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What does the shipping charge include?

A: The majority of the shipping charge is just that — the cost of preparing your materials and shipping them out to you as soon as possible. However, a portion of this charge also goes toward serving our ministers. By conducting research into state and local laws on a consistent basis, we make sure to stay on top of any legal changes which may affect the ULC. Armed with this knowledge, we are able to quickly meet any new requirements and ensure your ability to successfully perform weddings as a ULC minister.

How do I become a minister?

A: It's easy! Just navigate to the free ordination process on our website.

Is my ordination legal?

A: Yes, your ULC ordination is completely legal. Once you've completed the ordination process, you are officially a minister! We offer a wide range of supplies to assist in your ministerial duties.

How do I perform a wedding?

A: Visit our Wedding Training page for detailed instructions on how to officiate a wedding.

I am experiencing problems at the office of my local marriage authority. What should I do?

A: Please contact us and send a detailed account of your issue — Our team will work to assist you on an individual basis.

How do I change the address/contact info on my account?

A: First, log in to your account. Then click on "My Account" at the top of the page. From there, you can update all your account information - including your address. If you cannot remember your password, click "I forgot my password". If you're still having issues, feel free to contact our support staff or give us a call at (206) 285-1086.

Is there an age restriction for getting ordained?

A: Yes. You must be at least 18 years old to register as a ULC minister. However, please note that most states require ministers be at least 18 years of age to legally perform a wedding.

I want to perform a wedding in New York City. What do I need?

A: To officiate a wedding in New York City, you'll need to register with the City Clerk's Office using our New York City Wedding Officiant Package .

I've been ordained as a ULC minister, but I don't have access to an account. What should I do?

A: Please fill out the ordination form again — this will allow you to create an account. We will send you an email confirming your (re)ordination. You can then contact us with your original ordination date and we'll update your account information. To get in touch, please e-mail us or call us at (206) 285-1086. Once you have an account, you will be able to order official documents from the Ministry Supplies section of our website. The official certificate that you order will reflect both your original ordination date and your renewal date. Keep in mind that your local marriage authority may require you to submit this certificate. If this is the case, please inform them of the renewal date for their records.

Can I be the officiant at my own wedding?

A: In most cases, No. To find out the rules in your area, contact your local city or county clerk's office. You can also consult our State Marriage Laws database to learn more about performing weddings in your state.

Do the titles of Dr., Counselor, etc. come with legal protections?

A: Your ordination grants you all the rights of a legal minister, but other titles bestowed by the ULC are honorary. If you're uncertain whether these titles grant further legal protections, consult a lawyer or local legal authority.

Does the ULC recognize same-sex marriage?

A: Yes. In a 2007 Ecclesiastical Proclamation, the ULC conveyed its official stance that all individuals have a right to marry, regardless of sexual orientation.

How can I confirm my ordination?

A: After completing the ordination process, you will receive a confirmation email. You can view your ordination record at any time by logging in to your account at If you cannot remember your password, click "I forgot my password". Follow the instructions to reset your password via email. If you've forgotten the email address you used to sign up, please contact our support staff or give us a call at (206) 285-1086.

How can I prove that I'm legally ordained?

A: Requirements vary from county to county, so check with your local marriage authority. Rest assured that we offer everything you will need to prove your ordination is legal. Commonly-requested documents include the Ordination Certificate and the Letter of Good Standing.

How can I start my own ministry?

A: To get you started, we offer all sorts of ministry supplies in our online catalog. For more information on starting your own ministry, check out the guide to Starting a Church on our sister site.

How do I obtain an Honorary Title/Degree?

A: They can be found in the Titles and Degrees section of our online store.

I'm having trouble submitting my order, how can I fix this?

A: More often than not, the issue is with your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Netscape, etc.). First, try using a different browser to place the order. If that doesn't work, make sure you've upgraded to the latest version of your preferred browser (a quick Google search can assist you with this). It's also possible that the issue is with your credit card. Please double-check that the billing address you enter matches the address the card is registered to. If you're still having trouble, please send us a message by contacting us.

I registered to become ordained — why haven't I received a confirmation email?

A: Sometimes email services misidentify legitimate messages as junk mail. Check the spam folder in your email; the confirmation message might be there. If not, it's also possible that you made a typo when filling out the ordination application. Even one incorrect letter would prevent the message from getting to your inbox. If you're sure you didn't receive the confirmation email, please contact us.

I have a legal question unrelated to my status as a minister. Can you help?

A: The ULC is a religious organization and therefore cannot give legal advice. However, our literature catalog contains a number of books which you may find informative.

How do I order an official copy of my ordination certificate?

A: Hard copies of your ordination certificate, along with any other documents/supplies you might need, are available in the church supplies section of our website.

I placed an order but have yet to receive it. How can I check on its status?

A: To check on the status of your order, please contact us. In order to best assist you, our staff will need to know the following: your full name, the city/state and email address associated with your ordination, your order number (six digits, can be found in your order confirmation email), and the last 4 digits of the payment card used.

How do I cancel an order?

A: Please contact us or give us a call at (206) 285-1086. Please include your order number in the message. If your order has not yet been shipped, we will cancel the order and refund you. If your order is already in transit, you'll need to wait until the package arrives. Please do not open the package — simply write "return to sender" and the postal service will send it back to us. As soon as we receive the returned order, we'll process a refund for you. Please note: this does not include the cost of shipping.

Is my ordination legal in Canada?

A: It depends on the province — some will accept ULC ordinations but others will not. Presenting a Letter of Good Standing to your local marriage authority will give you the best chance of having your ordination recognized. Ultimately, though, the decision to allow you to officiate weddings rests with them.

I've been asked to officiate a wedding — what resources can you provide me?

A: In addition to the free tools and training pages on our website, we offer a wide range of products and packages to assist you in conducting ceremonies. One of our most popular items is the Premium Wedding Kit, which contains everything you'll need to perform a memorable ceremony.

How do I join the Ministers Network?

A: All ULC ministers are invited to join our newly-revamped social media platform, the Ministers Network! Head on over to the Ministers Network website and hit the "Click to Join" button to get started!

I want to send my order payment by mail. Where should I send it?

A: Please send your payment to:

Get Ordained / Universal Life Church
2880 Zanker Road, Suite 203
San Jose, CA 95134

Is it true that many celebrities are ULC ministers?

A: Yes! We have ordained tons of celebrities. Check out our complete list of famous ministers!

Is my ordination recognized worldwide?

A: While ULC ordinations are fully legal in the United States, each country treats them differently. We recommend contacting your local officials for more information.

How can I learn about my state's wedding laws?

A: Visit our State Wedding Laws page for a helpful guide to each state's relevant laws and regulations. Simply click on your state to learn more!

Can I officiate a ceremony outside of the state in which I was ordained?

A: In most places, yes. For more information on specific state requirements, please consult our State Wedding Laws page. We also advise contacting the city/county clerk in the locality where the ceremony will take place to double-check.

Where can I learn more about court decisions involving ULC?

A: For more information on the legality of ULC ordinations, as well as summaries of relevant court decisions, please visit our judicial website.