How to Become an Ordained Minister in Utah

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Utah

Contact the County Clerk's office in the county where the wedding will take place. Ask them what documents they will need from you, as the minister. They may ask to see a number of things, and be aware that these requirements vary from county to county. Any materials or documents you might need are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

Select your county to view contact information for each office:

Officiant Requirements in Utah

The Utah state flower, the Sego Lily

The Utah state flower, the Sego Lily

Once you've determined what you need, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. We usually advise our ministers in Utah to get a Classic Wedding Kit, especially if it's their first ceremony. The County Clerk may ask you to provide proof of your ordination, so it is usually a good idea to have hard copies on hand. It is also common for the couple to ask to see these in addition to the government official. Please try to place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid complications.

How to Get a Utah Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the County Clerk's office, and will be picked up by the couple. As a minister, it's your responsibility to understand how marriage licenses work in Utah and its individual counties. For example, if the couple plans to get an Ogden marriage license, you should double-check if there are any rules specific to Weber County.

In the state of Utah, the license is valid for 30 days, but there is no waiting period between the time it is picked up, and when the ceremony can be legally performed. Finally, make sure they're aware that the signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office within 30 days of the ceremony along with a marriage certificate that gives the date and place of celebrations and the names of two or more witnesses present at the marriage.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Video: How to Officiate a Wedding in Utah

You're now ready to tackle performing a wedding in Utah head on! Are you ready? We realize that was a lot to read. We've also created a video guide explaining all aspects of performing a wedding in Utah. Give it a watch to learn what you'll need to do to prepare for the ceremony and how to ensure all the important boxes get checked!

Utah Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Utah are primarily directed by Chapter 1 of Title 30 of the state code. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in the State of Utah, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

30-1-6. Who may solemnize marriages -- Certificate. (1) Marriages may be solemnized by the following persons only: (a) ministers, rabbis, or priests of any religious denomination who are: (i) in regular communion with any religious society; and (ii) 18 years of age or older;


Amended by Chapter 132, 2010 General Session

View the Utah Statutes on the official government state website.

How Do you Legally Perform a Wedding in Utah?

See the UT Marriage Code

Are you Interested in Being an Ordained Minister in Utah?

Learn About UT Ordination

Become an Ordained Minister Today

Be Ordained Now