Northern Mariana Islands State Flag

How to Become an Ordained Minister in Northern Mariana Islands

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

Become Ordained!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Northern Mariana Islands

Contact the Office of the Mayor first and introduce yourself as a minister planning to officiate a wedding and ask what documents will be needed from you. They may ask for a number of things but rest assured that any materials or documents you might need are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

Office of the Mayor Saipan
P.O.Box 501457
CTC Building Oleai,Teer Dive
Saipan 96950
670 234 6208

The Northern Mariana Islands state flower, the  Flores Mayo

The Northern Mariana Islands state flower, the Flores Mayo

What Do You Need to Perform a Wedding in Northern Mariana Islands

After contacting the Office of the Mayor and finding out what documents you will need to present to them, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. We generally recommend our ministers order the Classic Wedding Kit and a Letter of Good Standing. While ministers in the Northern Mariana Islands are not usually required to register it's possible the county clerk will ask you to present proof of your ordination before they will accept the legality of the ceremonies you've performed. The couple also may like to see your credential so make sure to place your order well in advance to avoid complications.

How to Get a Northern Mariana Islands Marriage License

In the Northern Mariana Islands the couple will be the ones picking up the license but as a minister you should know the process to help ensure there are no complications. The couple should contact the Office of the Mayor in Saipan as they will need to obtain an application for a marriage license and provide a number of notarized documents when returning the application. They should contact the office well in advance to ensure they have time to get all the documents they need.

There is no waiting period to recieve the marriage license after completing the application and the license is good for 60 days. The license will need to be returned within 10 days of the wedding.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Northern Mariana Islands Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Northern Mariana Islands are primarily directed by Chapter 2 of Title 8 of the territoy code. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in this U.S. territory, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

Title 8 Division 1 Chapter 2 Article 1

§ 1203. Two Noncitizens or Noncitizen and Citizen; Requisites of MarriageContract; Ceremony.

The presence of two witnesses, at least, is required for the celebration of a marriage between two noncitizens or between a noncitizen and a citizen of the Trust Territory. The marriage ceremony shall be performed in the Commonwealth. The marriage rite may be performed and solemnized by an ordained minister, a judge, the Governor or by any person authorized by law to perform marriages, upon presentation to that person of a license to marry as prescribed in 8 CMC § 1202. The person solemnizing a marriage may receive a fee to be stipulated by the parties, or the gratification tendered.