The New Hampshire state flag

How to Become an Ordained Minister in New Hampshire

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

Become Ordained!

How to Officiate a Wedding in New Hampshire

Contact your local City/Town Clerk's office. Introduce yourself as a minister officiating a wedding, and ask them what documents they will need from you. Minister registration is generally required if you are not a resident of New Hampshire. Even if you are a resident, there's a possibility that the city/town clerk will ask you to present proof of your ordination, so it's best to be prepared. Rest assured that any materials or documents you might need are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

Select your county to view contact information for each office:

The New Hampshire state flower, the Purple Lilac

The New Hampshire state flower, the Purple Lilac

What Do You Need to Perform a Wedding in New Hampshire

Once you've determined what you need, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. Based on the feedback we've received from our ministers in New Hampshire, we recommend getting a Classic Wedding Kit and a Letter of Good Standing. Please remember to place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid complications. Keep in mind that the couple may also like to see your ordination credentials!

How to Get a New Hampshire Marriage License

As a minister, you should be aware of the existing marriage laws in New Hampshire. For example, if the couple plans to get a Hillsborough County marriage license, you should double-check that they understand how marriage licenses work. In New Hampshire, the license is valid for 90 days. There is no mandatory waiting period between the time it is picked up, and when the ceremony can be legally performed. Finally, the signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office before it expires.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

New Hampshire Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in New Hampshire are primarily directed by Chapter 457 of Title 43 of the state code. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in the State of New Hampshire, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

457:31 Solemnization of Marriage. " A marriage may be solemnized in the following manner:

I. In a civil ceremony by a justice of the peace as commissioned by the state, by a state supreme court justice, superior court judge, or circuit court judge, and by judges of the United States appointed pursuant to Article III of the United States Constitution, by bankruptcy judges appointed pursuant to Article I of the United States Constitution, or by United States magistrate judges appointed pursuant to federal law; or

II. In a religious ceremony by any minister of the gospel in the state who has been ordained according to the usage of his or her denomination, resides in the state, and is in regular standing with the denomination; by any member of the clergy who is not ordained but is engaged in the service of the religious body to which he or she belongs, and who resides in the state, after being licensed therefor by the secretary of state; or within his or her parish, by any minister residing out of the state, but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in this state.

To view the in-depth wedding laws for New Hampshire state:

New Hampshire Marriage Laws