How to Become an Ordained Minister in Maine

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Maine

Contact the Municipal Clerk's office in the county where the ceremony will take place. Introduce yourself as a minister officiating a wedding, and ask them what documents they will need from you. They may ask to see a number of things, and be aware that these requirements vary from county to county. Rest assured that any materials or documents you might need are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

Select your county to view contact information for each office:

Officiant Requirements in Maine

The Maine state flower, the White Pine Cone

The Maine state flower, the White Pine Cone

Once you've determined what you need, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. Based on the feedback we've received from our ministers in Maine, we recommend ordering a Classic Wedding Kit. Although ministers are generally not required to register in Maine, there's always a possibility that the county clerk will ask you to present proof of your ordination. Keep in mind that the couple may also like to see your ordination credentials. Please remember to place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid complications.

How to Get a Maine Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the Municipal Clerk's office, and will be picked up by the couple. As a minister, it's your responsibility to understand how marriage licenses work in Maine and its individual counties. For example, if the couple plans to get a Sagadahoc County marriage license, you should double-check if there are any rules specific to Sagadahoc County.

In the state of Maine, the license is valid for 90 days. There is not a mandatory waiting period before the ceremony can be legally performed. Finally, the signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office before it expires.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Video: How to Officiate a Wedding in Maine

Hopefully performing a wedding in Maine isn't as complicated as you thought! We realize that was a lot to read. We've also created a video guide explaining all aspects of performing a wedding in Maine. Give it a watch to learn what you'll need to do to prepare for the ceremony and how to ensure all the important boxes get checked!

Maine Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Maine are primarily directed by Chapter 23 of Title 19-A of the state code. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in the State of Maine, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

  1. Persons authorized to solemnize marriages. The following may solemnize marriages in this State: A. If a resident of this State: (1) A justice or judge; (2) A lawyer admitted to the Maine Bar; or (4) A notary public under Title 4, chapter 19; [2011, c. 111, §2 (AMD).] B. Whether a resident or nonresident of this State and whether or not a citizen of the United States: (1) An ordained minister of the gospel; (2) A cleric engaged in the service of the religious body to which the cleric belongs; or (3) A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body; and [2011, c. 111, §3 (AMD).] C. A nonresident of the State who has a temporary registration certificate issued by the Office of Data, Research and Vital Statistics pursuant to subsection 1-A. [2011, c. 111, §4 (NEW).] [ 2011, c. 111, §§2-4 (AMD) .]

View the Maine Statutes on the official government state website.

How Do you Legally Perform a Wedding in Maine?

See the ME Marriage Code

Are you Interested in Being an Ordained Minister in Maine?

Learn About ME Ordination

Become an Ordained Minister Today

Be Ordained Now