How to Become an Ordained Minister in Indiana

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Indiana

Contact the County Clerk's office in the county where the wedding will take place. Introduce yourself as minister officiating a wedding, and ask them what documents they will need from you. They may want to see a number of things, and be aware that these requirements vary from county to county. Any materials or documents you might need are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

Select your county to view contact information for each office:

Officiant Requirements in Indiana

The Indiana state flower, the Peony

The Indiana state flower, the Peony

Once you've determined what you need, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. One of our most popular items in Indiana is the Classic Wedding Kit. Although ministers are generally not required to register in the state of Indiana, there's always a possibility the county clerk will ask you to present proof of your ordination. Keep in mind that the couple may like to see your ordination credentials as well. Remember to place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid any complications.

How to Get a Indiana Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the County Clerk's office, and will be picked up by the couple. As a minister, it's your responsibility to know how marriage licenses work in Indiana and its individual counties. For example, if the couple plans to get a Hamilton County marriage license, you should double-check if there are any rules specific to Hamilton County. In Indiana, the license is valid for 60 days and there is no mandatory waiting period before the ceremony can take place. The signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office before it expires. If the couple is headed off on their honeymoon, you might offer to return it for them.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Video: How to Officiate a Wedding in Indiana

All right, that's it! Your Indiana wedding ceremony awaits its officiant! We realize that was a lot to read. We've also created a video guide explaining all aspects of performing a wedding in Indiana. Give it a watch to learn what you'll need to do to prepare for the ceremony and how to ensure all the important boxes get checked!

Indiana Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Indiana are primarily directed by Title 31 of the state's Codified Statutes. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in the State of Indiana, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

Persons authorized to solemnize marriages Sec. 1. Marriages may be solemnized by any of the following: (1) A member of the clergy of a religious organization (even if the cleric does not perform religious functions for an individual congregation), such as a minister of the gospel, a priest, a bishop, an archbishop, or a rabbi. (2) A judge. (3) A mayor, within the mayor's county. (4) A clerk or a clerk-treasurer of a city or town, within a county in which the city or town is located. (5) A clerk of the circuit court. (6) The Friends Church, in accordance with the rules of the Friends Church. (7) The German Baptists, in accordance with the rules of their society. (8) The Baha'i faith, in accordance with the rules of the Bahai faith. (9) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in accordance with the rules of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (10) An imam of a masjid (mosque), in accordance with the rules of the religion of Islam. As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.3. Amended by P.L.34-1999, SEC.1.

View the Indiana Statutes on the official government state website.

How Do you Legally Perform a Wedding in Indiana?

See the IN Marriage Code

Are you Interested in Being an Ordained Minister in Indiana?

Learn About IN Ordination

Become an Ordained Minister Today

Be Ordained Now