The Idaho state flag

How to Become an Ordained Minister in Idaho

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

Become Ordained!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Idaho

Contact the County Clerk's office in the county where the ceremony will take place. Introduce yourself as a minister officiating a wedding, and ask them what documents they will need from you. They may ask to see a number of things, and be aware that these requirements can vary from county to county. Rest assured that any materials or documents you might need are available via the Church Supplies section of our website.

Select your county to view contact information for each office:

The Idaho state flower, the Syringa

The Idaho state flower, the Syringa

What Do You Need to Perform a Wedding in Idaho

Based on the feedback we've received from our ministers in Idaho, we highly recommend ordering a Classic Wedding Kit and a Letter of Good Standing. Although minister registration is not technically required in Idaho, some ULC ministers have been instructed to show proof of their ordination in order to solemnize marriages there. Keep in mind that the couple may like to see your ordination credentials as well. Please place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid any complications.

How to Get a Idaho Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the County Clerk's office, and will be picked up by the couple. As a minister, it's your responsibility to know how marriage licenses work in Idaho and its individual counties. For example, if the couple plans to get an Boise marriage license, you should double-check if there are any rules specific to Ada County. In Idaho, the license is valid for one full year and there is no mandatory waiting period before the ceremony can take place. The signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office within 30 days of the ceremony. If the couple is headed off on their honeymoon, you might offer to return it for them.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Idaho Marriage Laws

Marriage law in Idaho is directed by Title 32 of the state statutes. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in the State of Idaho, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

32-303. BY WHOM SOLEMNIZED. Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following Idaho officials: a current or retired justice of the supreme court, a current or retired court of appeals judge, a current or retired district judge, the current or a former governor, the current lieutenant governor, a current or retired magistrate of the district court, a current mayor or by any of the following: a current federal judge, a current tribal judge of an Idaho Indian tribe or other tribal official approved by an official act of an Idaho Indian tribe or priest or minister of the gospel of any denomination. To be a retired justice of the supreme court, court of appeals judge, district judge or magistrate judge of the district court, for the purpose of solemnizing marriages, a person shall have served in one (1) of those offices and shall be receiving a retirement benefit from either the judges retirement system or the public employee retirement system for service in the Idaho judiciary.

To view the in-depth wedding laws for Idaho state:

Idaho Marriage Laws