Guam State Flag

How to Become an Ordained Minister in Guam

Getting ordained to officiate weddings is free and takes a matter of seconds through the Universal Life Church. Simply fill out the ordination request form and sumbit it to start performing weddings today. Our ministers are recognized throughout the United States as well as it's outlying territories, including Guam! If you haven't been ordained yet, click on the link below to take the first step to becoming a recognized marriage officiant.

Become Ordained!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Guam

You will want to contact the Office of Vital Statistics first to determine if you will need to verify your ordination with them. Introduce yourself as a minister planning to perform a wedding in Guam and ask if they will need to see any documents from you. Any documents that they ask for are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

Office of Vital Statistics
Location: Room 109
123 Chalan Kareta, Mangilao, GU
Phone: (671) 735-7185/7280 | Fax: (671) 734-5910

The Guam state flower, the  Bougainvillea Spectabilis

The Guam state flower, the Bougainvillea Spectabilis

What Do You Need to Perform a Wedding in Guam

Once you've determined what you need, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. One of our most popular items in Guam is the Classic Wedding Kit as well as a Letter of Good Standing. You will need to go into the Office of Vital Statistics prior to the wedding to register with their office so make sure you plan accordingly. Keep in mind that the couple may like to see your ordination credentials as well. Please place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid any complications.

How to Get a Guam Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the Department of Public Health & Social Services, and will be picked up by the couple. It is a good idea to have the couple contact the department in advance to ensure they bring any documents they may need to obtain the license. As a minister, it's your responsibility to understand how marriage licenses work in Guam to help ensure that the couple is fully prepared for the wedding.

In Guam, the license is valid for 60 days. There is a 5-day waiting period between the time it is picked up, and when the ceremony can be legally performed but the waiting period can be waived by paying an additional fee. Finally, the signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office within 10 days of the ceremony.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Guam Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Guam are primarily directed by Chapter 3 of Title 19 of the territoy code. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in this U.S. territory, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

Title 19 Chapter 3: § 3204. Who May Solemnize.

(a) Marriage may be solemnized by:

(1) I Maga’lahen Guåhan (the Governor of Guam), or his substitute;

(2) the judges of the U.S. District Court, and the Superior Court of Guam;

(3) all ordained clergymen and priests of whatsoever religious faith who are recognized as such by the religious body whose faith they represent;

(4) the Director of Revenue and Taxation, the Director of Administration, and the Director of Public Health and Social Services;

(5) the Speaker of I Liheslaturan Guåhan (the Guam Legislature), or his/her designee; and

(6) all village Mayors and Vice Mayors.

(b) No regularly licensed or ordained minister or any priest, or similar official of any religious organization, is required to perform the solemnization of any marriage.