Virgin Islands, U.S. State Flag

How to Become an Ordained Minister in Virgin Islands, U.S.

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

Become Ordained!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Virgin Islands, U.S.

We highly recommend contacting the Family Division of the Superior Court in advance and asking what you will need as a minister to perform a wedding ceremony. Rest assured that any materials or documents you might need are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

St. Thomas/St. John
Alexander A. Farrelly Justice Center
2nd Floor, South Wing
Room S219
5400 Veteran's Drive
St. Thomas, VI 00802
(340) 774-6680 x6435

St. Croix
R. H. Amphlett Leader Justice Complex
1st Floor, Room 104
RR1 9000
Kingshill, VI 00850
(340) 778-9750 x6636

The Virgin Islands, U.S. state flower, the  Yellow Elder

The Virgin Islands, U.S. state flower, the Yellow Elder

What Do You Need to Perform a Wedding in Virgin Islands, U.S.

Once you've determined what you need, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. We usually advise our ministers in the Virgin Islands to get a Classic Wedding Kit. Although ministers are generally not required to register in the the Virgin Islands, it's not uncommon for ministers to be asked for proof of their ordination. Thus, it's always a good idea to have a hard copy of your credentials on hand. Keep in mind that the couple may like to see them as well. Please place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid complications.

How to Get a Virgin Islands, U.S. Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the Family Division of the Superior Court, and will be picked up by the couple. As a minister, it's your responsibility to understand how marriage licenses work in the Virgin Islands. The couple will need to request for a marriage license by either submitting an application in person or, if the couple resides off-island, by contacting the Family Division and requesting the required applications to obtain the license be mailled to them. If the couple resides off-island they will be required to submit a a letter detailing the date of their visit and length of stay.

It is also important to know that there is an 8 day waiting period while the marriage application is posted by the court for public examination unless an exception has been granted. Once the couple obtains the marriage license it will be valid for a period of 3 months.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Virgin Islands, U.S. Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Virgin Islands are primarily directed by Chapter 1 of Title 16 of the territoy code. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in this U.S. territory, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

Title 16, Chapter 1, Subchapter II

§ 32. Persons solemnizing marriage

No marriage shall be valid unless solemnized by—

(1) a clergyman or minister of any religion whether he resides in the Virgin Islands or elsewhere in the United States; or

(2) witnessed by a Local Spiritual Assembly of the Bahai is according to the usage of their religious community; or

(3) any judge or any court of record.