How to Become an Ordained Minister in Alaska

If you haven't yet become ordained with the Universal Life Church, that is the first step. Anyone willing can become a legal minister of the ULC, one of the world's largest religious organizations. Online ordination is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license, you'll be eligible to officiate a wedding. To become a minister, start by clicking the button below!

How to Officiate a Wedding in Alaska

Contact the County Clerk's office in the county where the ceremony will take place. Introduce yourself as a minister officiating a wedding, and ask them what documents they will need from you. They may ask to see a number of things, and be aware that these requirements vary from county to county. Rest assured that any materials or documents you might need are available in the Church Supplies section of our website.

Select your county to view contact information for each office:

Officiant Requirements in Alaska

The Alaska state flower, the Forget-Me-Not

The Alaska state flower, the Forget-Me-Not

Once you've determined what you need, simply log in to your account and order the materials from our online catalog. Based on the feedback we've received from our ministers in Alaska, we recommend ordering a Classic Wedding Kit. Although ministers are generally not required to register in Alaska, there's a possibility that the county clerk will ask you to present proof of your ordination. Keep in mind that the couple may also like to see your ordination credentials. Please remember to place your order well in advance of the wedding to avoid complications.

How to Get a Alaska Marriage License

Licenses are issued by the County Clerk's office, and will be picked up by the couple. As a minister, it's your responsibility to understand how marriage licenses work in Alaska and its individual counties For example, if the couple plans to get an Anchorage County marriage license, you should double-check if there are any rules specific to Anchorage County. In the state of Alaska, the license is valid for 30 days.There is a mandatory 3-day waiting period between the time it is picked up, and when the ceremony can be legally performed. Finally, make sure the couple is aware that the signed marriage license must be returned to the issuing office before the expiration date.

How to Perform a Wedding

Congratulations, you're ready to officiate the wedding! If you need any assistance in this important task, we encourage you to utilize the tools below. Together these exclusive resources include everything you'll need to craft the perfect wedding ceremony for any couple. Created with our ministers in mind, they offer tips and helpful information for all aspects of performing a ceremony. Fun fact: many ULC ministers have become professional officiants using these tools as a guide!

Finalizing the Marriage

After you perform the ceremony, you will sign the marriage license along with the couple and their two witnesses. Your title is 'minister', the ceremony type is 'religious', and the denomination is 'non-denominational'. You will not be required to provide a license number. You may also wish to give the couple a commemorative gift, like a marriage certificate to mark their special day. Last thing: make sure the signed license gets resubmitted to the marriage office before the deadline!

Video Guide to Officiating a Wedding in Alaska

And that's it! You should be all set to officiate a wedding in Alaska. Prefer video to text? Below you'll find a video walkthrough for performing a wedding in Alaska! In this video, we'll explain step-by-step how the process of officiating a wedding works and what you'll need to do to prepare.

Alaska Marriage Laws

Marriage laws in Alaska are primarily directed by Chapter 25.05 of Alaska's Statutes. This section defines persons authorized to perform a marriage in the State of Alaska, which includes ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church, among other individuals. We've reproduced the relevant portion below:

Sec. 25.05.261. Who may solemnize. (a) Marriages may be solemnized (1) by a minister, priest, or rabbi of any church or congregation in the state, or by a commissioned officer of the Salvation Army, or by the principal officer or elder of recognized churches or congregations that traditionally do not have regular ministers, priests, or rabbis, anywhere within the state; (2) by a marriage commissioner or judicial officer of the state anywhere within the jurisdiction of the commissioner or officer; or (3) before or in any religious organization or congregation according to the established ritual or form commonly practiced in the organization or congregation. (b) This section may not be construed to waive the requirements for obtaining a marriage license.

View the Alaska Statutes on the official government state website.

How Do you Legally Perform a Wedding in Alaska?

See the AK Marriage Code

Are you Interested in Being an Ordained Minister in Alaska?

Learn About AK Ordination

Become an Ordained Minister Today

Be Ordained Now